COVID-19 UPDATE – WHEN CAN I REFUSE UNSAFE WORK?
NOTICE TO MEMBERS OF SMWIA IN ONTARIO
ROOFERS, SIDERS, DECKERS, AND SHEET METAL WORKERS
WHEN CAN I REFUSE UNSAFE WORK?
MARCH 25, 2020
Our number one priority is you, your coworkers and your families’ health and safety. While ICI Construction has been designated an essential service you must not work in unsafe working conditions.
If any Construction Job Site or shop does not follow the following protocols you should not remain at work:
1. All job sites and shops that our members report to must have some form of Covid 19 screening and enforcement to ensure that no one is reporting to work that is unfit in any way. No one who should be self-isolating or quarantined should be allowed on any job site or shop.
2. Employees reporting to work and leaving the job site must travel in their own vehicle and not carpool.
3. When working on the job site all work must be performed when members are at least 2 metres (6 feet) apart from each other;
4. All job sites and shops must have clean running water that is heated for handwashing stations and washrooms;
Portable toilets and temporary handwashing stations without heated water are not lawful at this time.
5. All handwashing stations and washrooms must be regularly cleaned and disinfected as required under the Public Health orders imposed on construction job sites and industrial facilities;
6. There must be sufficient handwashing stations and washrooms that allow for physical distancing of at least 2 metres (6 feet) while in use;
7. Lunch and Break rooms must also be regularly sanitized and have enough room so that there is at least 2 metres (6 feet) between employees at all times, including while entering and exiting these rooms;
8. There can be no sharing of tools unless tools are properly sanitized prior to being exchanged.
Comments are closed.