NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS OF SMWIA IN ONTARIO – May 4, 2020
May 4, 2020
Effective May 4, 2020 the Ontario government has allowed certain businesses to operate again.
Construction Employers can now perform construction work on the following job sites and businesses.
- shipping and logistics;
- broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure;
- any other project that supports the improved delivery of goods and services;
- municipal projects;
- colleges and universities;
- child care centres;
- schools; and
- site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, Industrial and residential development;
In addition the following Construction projects and services remain active:
- associated with the healthcare sector, including new facilities, expansions, renovations and conversion of spaces that could be repurposed for health care space;
- required to ensure safe and reliable operations of, or to provide new capacity in, critical provincial infrastructure, including transit, transportation, energy and justice sectors beyond the day-to-day maintenance;
Critical industrial construction activities required for:
- industrial construction and modifications to existing industrial structures limited solely to work necessary for the production, maintenance, and/or enhancement of Personal Protective Equipment, medical devices (such as ventilators), and other identified products directly related to combatting the COVID-19 pandemic.
Residential construction projects where:
- the maintenance and operations of petrochemical plants and refineries;
- significant industrial petrochemical projects where preliminary work has already commenced;
- a footing permit has been granted for single family, semi-detached and townhomes;
- an above grade structural permit has been granted for condominiums, mixed use and other buildings, or
- the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before April 4, 2020.
Construction and maintenance:
- activities necessary to temporarily close construction sites that have paused or are not active and to ensure ongoing public safety.
- In addition it is lawful for businesses engaged in the following to remain open:
- repair and property management services strictly necessary to manage and maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial, industrial and residential properties and buildings.
All other construction jobsites and businesses that are not listed here remain closed.
Comments are closed.